These beautiful roses are elegant on a plate. Eighter as an element on a mixed plate for starter or as a side to a main course.
It takes a little bit of patience to make them – but I think it is worth the effort. I have used emmental which melts well and gives a nice taste of cheese. You can of course choose other cheeses depending on the taste and intensity you want.
Veggie roses with cheese
ingredients (6 roses)
- 2 big potatoes
- 1 big carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- 4 tbsp thyme and rosmary, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 60 g / 2.1 oz emmental or other matured cheese, finely grated
- Wash the vegetables and peel the carrot. Use a mandolin (or a carrot peeler) to make long and thin ribbons.
- Mix herbs with oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place two ribbons of zucchini on a board, brush with oil and sprinkle with cheese. Add a layer with carrot, brush and sprinkle. Top with a layer of potatoes, repeat with oil and cheese.
- Let the two piles overlap. Now you have one long ribbon with three layers of vegetables. Carefully you role the ribbons until you have a rose. Place it in a greased muffin form. Make five more roses.
- Bake the roses in the oven (180°C / 350°F) for 40 minutes until the cheese is golden and the vegetables are tender.